BRADLEY Fraser scored one and created two as Ascot United returned to winning ways over struggling Abingdon United in the Hellenic League Premier Division.

After a goalless opening quarter, the home side turned up the heat against an Abingdon side who failed to register a shot on target on Tuesday night.

Ascot were keen to put their title challenge back on track after dropping five points from their previous two outings.

Despite bossing the opening quarter, Ascot were unable to create a clear opening, whereas Abingdon offered little at the other end.

Joe Grant squandered the hosts’ first chance after 23 minutes – shooting wide from a tight angle.

Grant was Ascot’s liveliest player early-on, and after being muscled off the ball in a good position soon after, the hosts saw the ball twice cleared off Abingdon’s goal-line.

Firstly, Fraser’s first-time effort from Gurkan Gokmen’s corner was cleared at the near post, before Grant’s shot was scrambled away at the far post.

However, the mounting pressure finally paid dividends as Ascot took the lead after 33 minutes. Fraser won his battle with the visiting defence, hooked the ball to Gokmen on the right, and he smashed a rising effort into the roof of the net.

The Yellamen almost added a second – Jesse Wilson’s thunderous header crashed off the bar and onto the goal-line with ‘keeper Jack Griffin beaten – but the second goal soon arrived.

Fraser provided the assist again, and after finding Jamie West, the striker drilled a low shot past Griffin.

Abingdon prevented further damage before the interval, and the second half began with Fraser testing Griffin.

For Abingdon, Tony Booker was unable to turn a deep corner back across Chris Grace’s goal, before Grant forced Griffin into another save.

But it was Gokmen and Fraser that combined for Ascot’s third after 56 minutes; Fraser played a neat one-two with the lively winger, the defence were beaten, and Fraser drilled a low effort into the bottom left corner.

Matt Jones and Daryl Mclean were given 30 minutes of action before Joe Jarra replaced Grant for the final quarter of an hour.

Abingdon fought back briefly as time ran out without really testing Grace.

The Yellamen had previously been edged out 2-1 by high-flying Thatcham Town last Saturday, Grant netting an equaliser before Josh Helmore’s stoppage-time winner sealed victory for the hosts.

Ascot visit Highmoor IBIS tomorrow (3pm).

VIRGINIA Water FC returned to winning ways in the Surrey Elite League on Saturday with a 2-1 home win against AFC Spelthorne Sports.

Ryan Curtis fired Waters in front midway through the first half only for Spelthorne to equalise from a hotly-disputed penalty after the break.

But the home side snatched the victory when a long clearance by keeper Matt Jones was nodded on by Curtis and Cyril Ocansey raced clear before slotted home.

Waters entertain Godalming & Farncombe this Saturday.