A MAN has been sentenced to almost two years imprisonment for indecently assaulting two young girls back in the 1960s.

Leslie Driver, 76, carried out the “horrendous attacks” at a property in Egham where he was staying as a lodger at the time.

Kingston Crown Court heard how Driver, who was a teacher and had previously taken part in charity work abroad, would force each girl into sexual activity on a number of occasions in the early sixties.

Driver was charged with six offences of indecent assault on a girl under the age of 14 and pleaded guilty to three of the six crimes on November 6 last year. He was sentenced on January 18 to 20 months behind bars at the same court.

Driver, now of Flora Thompson Drive, Newport Pagnell, had committed the crimes when he was in his 20s but was not arrested until September 1, 2015 after the victims disclosed to detectives, for the first time, the abuse he had inflicted on them.

In a statement read out in court, one of the victims talked about how the abuse had impacted her life. She said: “A life blighted by an unreasonable level of fear from the age of nine, no matter what I’ve done in between to alleviate that fear, it still underpins my life.

“I do not feel safe in this world. I am always bracing myself to the next challenge that inevitably comes along. I don’t experience excitement, joy or wellbeing. The best I can manage is to say, ‘right now I feel OK’ and act as if I’m joyful.

“In repressing fear and negative feelings, I have to repress all the positive ones as well. It is emotional survival.”

Det Con, Samantha Coleman, for Surrey Police, said: “The actions of Driver have had a profound effect on the victims who have had to live their lives with the emotional scars inflicted on them in their childhood years.

“I would like to commend both victims for the bravery they have shown throughout the court process.

“Thanks to them, Leslie Driver will finally pay the price for the horrific crimes he committed. I hope that this result in court goes some way in giving these two women the closure they so dearly deserve to be able to finally move on with the rest of their lives.”

Surrey Police said it urged anybody who has been subject to sexual abuse or assault to report it to police as soon as possible and dedicated and specialist officers will investigate. “sensitively and thoroughly”.

For more advice visit www.surrey.police.uk